This full-time position is responsible for coordinating and implementing outreach activities designed to promote Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) and increase the number of customers served by Maryland Relay. Individual will devote 100% of their time to Maryland Relay and is required to travel throughout the state of Maryland.
• Provides education and guidance to residential, commercial, instructional and public sectors within the community about Maryland Relay (specifically TRS services but cross trained with information for Captioned Telephone Relay Services and Maryland Accessible Telecommunications program).
• Ability to sign fluently to ensure complete communication with Maryland Relay users who are deaf.
• Works closely with Maryland Relay/ Telecommunications Access of Maryland (TAM) Public Relations Officer to coordinate outreach efforts in the state. In addition, will be required to participate in weekly meetings with TAM staff. Individual is required to participate in one-hundred fifty (150) outreach events per contract year as directed by Maryland Relay TAM Public Relations Officer. The majority of the events will take place in the Baltimore/Washington area, although events will occur across the State of Maryland and will often require work beyond normal business hours (evenings and weekends).
• Develops Annual Outreach Plan designed to promote Maryland Relay.
• Plans and implements innovative outreach activities and marketing programs that support the Annual Outreach Plan.
• Facilitates awareness and stimulates involvement in target communities (Deaf, Hard of Hearing, General, Deaf-Blind and Speech Disabled) to increase the use of relay services within the State of Maryland.
• Coordinates and conducts demonstrations, presentations and training across Maryland for businesses, residents, and organizations.
• Gathers customer feedback and shares it with Hamilton Relay Management toward the goal of improving the effectiveness of the products and services offered.
• Promotes the program through participating in regional events, conferences, association meetings, etc.
• Participates in scheduled Outreach meetings, Governor Advisory Board for Telephone Relay (GABTR) meetings, Outreach Activities and Marketing Summits.
• Office is located in Baltimore at Maryland Relay/TAM office.
• Travels extensively across the State of Maryland
• Stresses quality in all work situations
• Stays abreast of technological changes occurring in the relay industry
• Ability and willingness to work non-standard hours as needed.
• Performs other work-related duties as assigned
Education, experience, and skills:
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree and two or more years of experience in the design and implementation of public outreach, public relations or related marketing experience are required.
• Experience in the telecommunication field, Traditional Relay Service or Captioned Telephone Service is a strong plus.
• Communicates fluently through the use of American Sign Language.
• Excellent presentation skills.
• Experience in public relations activities.
• Ability to develop effective outreach and educational campaigns.
• Ability to confidently communicate (oral and written) with a wide variety of audiences.
• Ability to plan, schedule and execute multiple projects.
• Ability to understand and follow directions.
• Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
• Capacity to develop and maintain effective working relationships with Maryland Relay TAM staff, Maryland Captioned Telephone Relay Outreach Coordinator, organizations within the public, private and non-profit sectors.
• Knowledge of and ability to understand various communication modes used by current and potential relay users.
• Familiarity with the user communities that could benefit from relay services:
o Hard of Hearing Community
o Deaf Community
o Speech Disabled
• Be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Possess a valid driver’s license.
• Ability and willingness to travel alone.
• Individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing are encouraged to apply.